State Military Department
- The California
- Preserving California's
- California and the Civil War
- Regiments of the California Volunteers
in Federal Service
- 1st Battalion
- Organized at large May 30, 1863, to March
16, 1864, for special service in Humboldt County. Attached to
Humboldt District, Department of the Pacific.
- Company "A" - Ordered to Fort
Humboldt June, 1863. Stationed at Fort Humboldt, Fort Bager and
Camps Curtis and Iaquia. Skirmish, Redwood Creek, February 29,
1864. Redwood Mountains March 1. Kneeland's Prairie May 1. Operations
in Humboldt District until June, 1865.
- Company "B" - Ordered to Fort
Gaston. Duty there and at Camps Anderson and Curtis until June,
1865. Skirmish at Oak Camp June 6, 1863. Thomas' Ranch November
12. Trinity River November 13. Willow Creek November 17. Near
Fort Gaston December 25-26. Skirmish near Boynton's Prairie May
6, 1864. Scout from Camp Anderson to Bald Mountain August 8-12.
- Company "C" - Ordered to Fort
Gaston June, 1863. Duty there operating against Indians in Humboldt
District until June, 1865. Redwood Creek July 9 and 11, 1863.
Thomas' Ranch November 11. Trinity River November 13. Near Fort
Gaston December 25-26. Thomas House, on Trinity River, May 27,
1864. Operations in Trinity Valley September 1-December 3, 1864.
- Company "D"--Duty at Fort Gaston
until June, 1865.
- Company "E"--Duty at Camp Grant
until June, 1865. Skirmish at Grouse Creek May 23, 1864. Matole
May 26. Big Flat May 28. Expedition to North Fork Eel River September
- Battalion mustered out June 14, 1865.
- [WELCOME] [LOCATION AND HOURS]
[CURRENT EXHIBITS] [MG WALTER P. STORY LIBRARY] [SATELLITE AND PARTNER MUSEUMS]
- [HOW CAN I HELP?] [WHAT'S NEW?] [UPCOMING EVENTS] [CALIFORNIA
MILITARY HISTORY] [ONLINE
CENTER FOR MILITARY HISTORY]
FastCounter by LinkExchange
Questions and comments concerning this site should
be directed to the Webmaster