Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields:
Air Force Plant 14, Burbank
The former Air Force Plant No. 14 is located in Area 1, Burbank
Operable Unit (OU), of the San Fernando Valley Area 1 through
4 site. Since 1941, there has been a geographic, functional,
and organizational relationship among Air Force Plant No. 14;
two Plancors, 236 and 1193; and Lockheed Martin Corporations
plants and air terminal. The facilities were used for the design,
manufacture, and repair of military and civilian aircraft. Air
Force Plant No. 14, a government-owned, contractor-operated facility,
was established in 1947 when the government exchanged some of
its Plancor facilities for Lockheeds Plant B-1. In 1974,
all property owned by the Air Force was conveyed to Lockheed
Martin Corporation. Since DoDs disposal of this property,
Lockheed has used the facilities for the design and production
of missiles, satellites, and military and commercial aircraft.
In 1942 the United States acquired 279.78
acres in Burbank, California by lease agreement. In 1947, 88.87
acres were acquired in fee for the purpose of establishing an
Air Force Plant (AFP-14). In 1954, 151.01 acres were acquired
for the purpose of establishing AFP-14 Annex.
The plant was activated in 1947 and was used for the manufacturing,
repair and/or overhaul of aircraft, aircraft engines, or other
components. The area was known as Air Force Plant 14.
16.20 acres were sold to Lockheed Air Terminal by GSA on 11 May
1963. The remaining 218.48 acres of fee-owned land (with improvements)
and the 284.98 acres under license and easement
were given to GSA for disposal on 27 June 1969. The area was
later taken over by Lockheed Aircraft.
Source: Los Angeles District,
US Army Corps of Engineers, 18 Feb 92