The land involved in this project is known as the Rocketdyne Canoga Avenue Facility (former Air Force Plant (AFP) 56) and is located in Canoga Park. California.
North American Aviation acquired the real property subject to this project from Doris Warner Vidor and Betty Warner Sperling by grant deed recorded on 18 February 1955 in book 48974, page 19, of official records of Los Angeles County, California. North American Aviation did not make any improvements to the property in 1955.
In 1955 North American Aviation also acquired land bounding on the north and east sides of the property for future use in manufacturing rocket engines. North American Aviation used its Beverly Hills facility to develop and manufacture rocket engines until former AFP No. 56 was constructed.
North American Aviation retained fee title to the 40.5-acre parcel until 16 September 1955 at which time it conveyed its interest to the United States of America by way of grant deed.
pproximately 4 acres of the total 40.5 acres were in streets. Said deed was recorded in book 48974. page 19, of official records of Los Angeles County, California.
The Air Force began constructing buildings at former AFP No. 56 in 1956. The Air Force issued a facilities contract to North American Aviation to develop and manufacture rocket engines at former AFP No. 56 throughout the period of time that the Air Force owned the plant.
In August 1972 former AFP 56 was determined to be surplus to the needs of the Air Force and was excessed to the General Services' Administration (GSA) for disposal. The 40.S-acre property was sold to North American Aviation's successor Rockwell International, and on 21 March 1974 a quitclaim deed from the United States Government was recorded in book D 6206, page 627, of official records of Los Angeles County. California.
An agreement was made between the Air Force and Rockwell International stipulating that:
(1) Rockwell International would retain the existing capability of the facility for a period of 5 years from the date of transfer of the title and that
(2) use of the property by Rockwell International would not jeopardize the capability of the facility to meet Government production requirements during that period.
Rockwell Invitation has
used the facility for production, assembly, and testing of rocket
engines since acquiring it from the Air Force in 1974. The site
is currently owned by Pratt & Whitney, a
United Technologies Company
Angeles District, US Army Corps of Engineers