Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Air Force Plant 72
The former Air Force Plant No. 72 is now
the Liquid Oxygen Plant (LOX) located on Edwards Air Force Base.
within the area designated as the Rocket Propulsion Laboratory.
and is approximately 15 miles southeast of the city of Boron
in Kern County.
The Air Force Plant No. 72 (AF Plant No. 72) is within a 46,698.54
acre portion of property owned by the United States Air Force.
In 1947 this Property was withdrawn from public domain by the
Department of Defense (DoD). In 1949 it was transferred to the
Department of the Air Force upon creation of Edwards Air Force
AF Plant No. 72 was under construction in 1956 and opened as
a Liquid Oxygen Plant in 1957. The plant was used and maintained
by the Air Force until the early 1970's when the need for liquid
oxygen was reduced and the plant was no longer profitable. Later.
two of the plant buildings were converted to make liquid nitrogen
and are currently being used for that purpose.
Currently, AF Plant No. 72 is owned and
operated by the United States Air Force as part of Edwards Air
Source: US Army Corpsof Engineers,
Los Angeles District