Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Air Force Plant 76
Air Force Plant #76 was acquired for the
Government by Stearns-Roger Manufacturing Company under provisions
of Real Estate Directive 6746A, approved 26 December 1956. This
land (5.73 acres) was then conveyed to the United States of America
under provisions of existing legislation by the Stearns-Roger
Manufacturing Company under deed dated 5 March 1957, filed for
record on 9 April 1957 and recorded among the land records of
Kern County, in Book 2760 of Deeds page 540.
Stearns-Roger Manufacturing Company was under contract from the
Air Force. The plant began production early in 1957. It was built
to furnish small quantities of liquid hydrogen for the early
activities of the Centaur Program on the west coast.
Operations at the facility were terminated in early 1963 and
the Department of the Air Force reported the property as excess
to the General Services Administration in the same year. Gary
Drillind Company purchased the site from GSA in the late 1960's.
Source: US Army Corpsof Engineers,
Los Angeles District (1991)