Torpedo Boat Batteries, Harbor Defenses of Los Angeles
by Justin M. Ruhge
In 1942 five batteries of AMTB guns protected
the San Pedro Harbor. There were four batteries of 90-mm guns
and 37-mm guns and one of only 37-mm guns. These were fast-firing
weapons, which were supplemented with 50-caliber machine guns
and searchlights as needed. The 90-mm batteries were four guns,
two of which were permanent and two mobile. These were supplemented
with two mobile 37-mm guns.
These batteries were located at the Gaffey
Bulge where Gaffey Street winds around Battery Leary-Merriam;
JAAN No. 1, Navy Field; JAAN No. 2, Bluff Park; and Terminal Island.
The fifth battery was designated Dolphins.
This was a line of 10 37-mm guns on towers with searchlights located
along the harbor breakwater - making a total of 34 guns.
AMTB Bluff Park was armed with two fixed
90mm guns on M3 fixed mounts and two on M1 mobile mounts. Additionally
there were two M1 37mm Anti-Aircraft Guns.