Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Anti-Motor Torpedo Boat Batteries
Bluff, Channel and Cliff
Harbor Defenses of San Diego
The M3E1 Antiaircraft Gun
was also applied to the Anti-Motor Torpedo Boat Mission (AMTB)
at Batteries Cliff, Bluff and Channel. The gun gonsisted of two
water or air cooled 50 Caliber Machine Guns, 650 rounds per minute,
and One 37-mm Cannon, 120 rounds per minute.
Battery Bluff and Battery Channel
by Justin M. Ruhge
To supplement the new 90-mm batteries, the Army installed three
batteries of 37-mm antiaircraft weapons, sited primarily to protect
the harbor entrance against motor torpedo boats.
Each battery consisted of 2 37-mm guns with 2 50-caliber water-cooled
machine guns mounted on each 37-mm carriage.
Battery Cliff was located immediately above the new lighthouse
at Point Loma. Battery Bluff was at Billy Goat Point above Battery
Calef-Wilkeson. Battery Channel was at Ballast Point adjacent
to the U.S. Coast Guard station.
In 1944, the Western Defense Command announced
that 40-mm antiaircraft guns would replace all 37-mm weapons
in the command. Although sixteen 40-mm guns were authorized for
San Diego none had arrived by wars' end and apparently, none
of the 3-inch antiaircraft guns had arrived by the end of World
War II hostilities.