LOCATION: The site is 2 miles northeast of Laguna Beach in Crystal Cove State Park, Orange County, CA. The site is located approximately one-half mile inland south of Moro Canyon. The site can be accessed via a paved road through the park gate located on the east side of 9200 N. Pacific Coast Highway (PCH).
SITE HISTORY: The former Abalone Point Fire Control Station was constructed for the Harbor Defenses of Los Angeles. It was located on 2.27 acres (1.0 acre lot for the facility and 1.27 acres in easement for the access road). This land was acquired by the War Department, through leasehold and license, on 13 April 1942 from the Irvine Company.
The War Department constructed a Seacoast Fortification Structure on the property. This structure was constructed as an observation and spotting station. The structure was "dug-in" type (15'-9 1/2' high, 19' long, and 16' wide). It was built of reinforced concrete and contained observation instruments and a mobile radio trailer. The War Department also constructed a 20' wide access road, inland from east of PCH to the site. The road occupied 1.27 acres of the property in easement.
The lease for the property was terminated
on 22 May 1948 and land reverted back to the original owners,
The Irvine Company. The structures were demolished in 1950. In
December 1979, The Irvine Company sold the site, in conjunction
with 2800 acres of property, to the state of California. The site
is located within the property that is currently owned by the
California Parks and Recreation Department, and is a part of the
Crystal Cove State Park, Laguna Beach, California.
Source: Los Angeles District, US Army Corps of Engineers
Updated 22 May 2007
|Subscribe to California Military History|
|Browse Archives at groups-beta.google.com|