third ALBANY--a protected cruiser laid down at Newcastle-on-Tyne,
England, by Armstrong, Whitworth & Co. as ALMIRANTE ABREU
for the Brazilian Navy--was purchased while still on the ways
by the United States Navy on 16 March 1898 to prevent her being
acquired by the Spanish Navy; renamed ALBANY; launched in February
1899; sponsored by Mrs. John C. Colwell, the wife of the American
naval attaché in London; and commissioned in the Tyne
River, England, on 29 May 1900, with Captain. Joseph E. Craig
On 26 June 1900, ALBANY put to sea bound
for service in the Philippines. Steaming via Gibraltar, the Mediterranean
Sea, the Suez Canal, and the Indian Ocean, the cruiser arrived
at Cavite in the Philippines on 22 November. She served with
the Asiatic Fleet in the Philippines for the next seven months.
During that tour of duty, the protected cruiser visited Hong
Kong from 28 December 1900 to 17 February 1901 for repairs in
On 3 July 1901, she departed Cavite to
return to the European Station. Retracing the path of her maiden
voyage, ALBANY transited the Suez Canal early in September
and reentered the Mediterranean on 15 September.
For the following nine months, the warship
cruised the warm waters of the Mediterranean visiting ports in
Greece, France, Italy, Spain and Egypt. She entered the Atlantic
on 18 June 1902 and , after stops at Cherbourg, France, and Southampton,
England, rendezvoused with ILLINOIS (Battleship No. 7)
and protected cruiser CHICAGO and SAN FRANCISCO
(Cruiser No. 5) off Galloper light vessel on 12 July. She exercised
with those ships until 20 July at which time she set a course
for the Baltic Sea. During her sojourn in the waters of northern
Europe, she visited Stockholm, Sweden; Kronstadt, Russia; and
Copenhagen, Denmark. Early in September, she exited the Baltic
and, after a visit to Plymouth, England, reentered the Mediterranean
on the 12th. After almost two months of duty in the middle
sea, ALBANY set a course for the western hemisphere
early in November. She arrived in the West Indies later that
month and ended the year in fleet tactical maneuvers which she
concluded early in January 1903. On the 5th, the ship set a course
for Boston, Massachussetts.
After repairs at Boston and at the New
York Navy Yard, ALBANY got underway on 15 February 1903
to return to European waters. At the end of a brief tour of duty
in the Mediterranean, she transited the Suez Canal at the end
of May and set a course for the Far East. She stopped for coal
at Hong Kong and then joined the Asiatic Fleet at Chefoo in northern
China. She spent most of the remainder of 1903 operating with
that fleet in the waters of northern China, Korea, and Japan.
Upon returning to Kobe and proceeding thence to Yokohama, the
protected cruiser embarked upon a voyage to Hawaii on 3 December.
She arrived in Honolulu on the 16th and remained there until
the 29th at which time she headed back toward the western Pacific.
She made a stop at Guam in the Ladrone (now Mariana) Islands
before arriving at Cavite in the Philippines on 20 January 1904.
She operated in the Philippines for about a month and headed
for the coast of China on 19 February. The warship reached Shanghai
four days later and remained in the vicinity for a month before
getting underway for the Philippines on 22 March. She laid over
at Cavite from 26 March to 18 April. The cruiser made another
brief voyage to Shanghai and back to the Philippines between
18 and 30 April. Following a week at Cavite, she put to sea,
bound for the United States. She made stops en route at Guam
and Honolulu and arrived in port at Bremerton, Wash., on 16 June.
Soon thereafter, ALBANY was placed out of commission at
the Puget Sound Navy Yard.
The protected cruiser remained inactive
for almost three years. On 10 June 1907, she was placed in full
commission, Commander Henry T. Mayo in command. Assigned to the
Pacific Fleet, ALBANY spent the next three years cruising
the western coasts of North and Central America. Her duty on
the west coast of North America consisted primarily of training
evolutions (which included the training of the California
Naval Militia) but also included surveillance missions along
the coast of Central America in protection of United States citizens
and their interests in the perennially unsettled republics there.
She visited ports in Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua.
The latter country proved to be her primary area of operations
during the first part of 1910 when she was attached to Rear Admiral
Kimballs Nicaraguan expeditionary force. She returned north
to the Puget Sound Navy Yard in May to begin preparations to
deploy once more to the Asiatic Fleet.
On 4 August, she departed the navy yard
on her way to Chinese waters. After stops at Honolulu in Hawaii
and Yokohama in Japan, ALBANY arrived at Woosung, China,
on 15 September. For almost three years, the protected cruiser
plied Far Eastern waters visiting ports from the Philippines
to China to Japan.
On 20 September 1913, the warship left
Yokohama, bound for home. She stopped at Honolulu from 31 October
to 5 November and arrived in San Francisco on 12 November. She
moved north to Puget Sound at mid-month and was placed in reserve
there on 23 December. Following repairs, she was recommissioned
on 17 April 1914. That summer and fall, she cruised Mexican waters
in the wake of the incident at Tampico
and the resultant landing at Veracruz. She concluded that duty
late in November and, on 4 December 1914, was placed out of commission
at Bremerton, Washington, for a general overhaul. At the conclusion
of those repairs late in the spring of 1915, ALBANY was
assigned training duty with the state naval militias of California,
Washington and Oregon. On 12 May 1916, she was returned to full
commission, with Lieutenant Commander Orin G. Murfin in command.
Upon returning to active service, she once again headed for Mexican
waters--this time as part of the United States response
to the massacre of American citizens in Columbus, N.M., perpetrated
by Pancho Villa and his band of marauders.
By early 1917, ALBANY was operating
with the Atlantic Fleet off the coast of Virginia. This change
in assignment came as a result of worsening relations between
the United States and the German Empire over the latter countrys
unrestricted submarine warfare campaign. In February and March
relations deteriorated rapidly; and, early in April, the United
States entered the war on the side of the Allied Powers.
On 5 July, ALBANY received orders
to report to New York for convoy duty. She was assigned duties
as flagship for Squadron 6, Patrol Force, Atlantic Fleet. As
such, she carried the flag of Rear Admiral William C. Watts.
For the duration of World War I, the cruiser escorted convoys
of merchant ships, cargomen, and troop transports back and forth
across the Atlantic. Between July 1917 and the end of the war
on 11 November 1918, she shepherded 11 such convoys safely between
the United States and Europe.
I n 1919, ALBANY was once more
assigned to the Asiatic Fleet. At that time, the Russian Civil
War between Bolshevik and non-Bolshevik (a diverse group made
up of people whose only common ground was opposition to the Bolsheviks)
factions. Various Allied powers sent military contingents to
several Russian ports. The United States landed troops at Vladivostok
in Siberia, possibly to check Japanese pretensions in that area
and to secure that port as an exit for the Czech Legion then
transiting the Trans-Siberian railway. In 1919 and early 1920,
ALBANY did several tours of duty at Vladivostok in support
of American troops ashore. She also sent armed landing parties
ashore on several occasions in further support of those troops
and to evacuate sick and wounded men.
American troops were withdrawn in the
spring of 1920, and ALBANY resumed normal peacetime duty
with the Asiatic Fleet. That service included the usual summers
in Chinese waters alternated with winters in the Philippines.
Reclassified PG-36 on 17 July 1920, ALBANY was again reclassified
light cruiser CL-23 on 8 August 1921. In July 1922, she departed
Chinese waters for the last time and headed home. She arrived
at the Mare Island Navy Yard on 6 August and was placed out of
commission on 10 October 1922. She was berthed at Mare Island
until 3 November 1929 when her name was struck from the Navy
list. On 11 February 1930, she was sold for scrapping.
6 inches (aft)
six 6 inch guns
four 4.7 inch guns
four machine guns;
two field pieces;
three torpedo tubes
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster