US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles District History
A total of 260.00 acres were leased by the US Army Corps of Engineers from the Kern County Land Company to be used as an auxiliary landing field. On 16 June 1941, 160 acres were leased from the Kern County Land Company, with the lease beginning on 1 July 1941 and ending on 30 June 1943. On 2 January 1942, an additional 100 acres were leased from the Kern County Land Company, with the lease ending 30 June 1943.
Allen Auxiliary Field #3 was part of the satellite airfields surrounding what was then Gardner Field. Along with the other satellite fields, Allen field was used as an emergency and training airfield for US Army Air Corps pilots. Though an asphalt runway was constructed on the site, no buildings or other storage structures were built on the property.
According to a handwritten notation on the map "Real Estate - Gardner Field (Allen A-3)," Allen Field was declared surplus on 27 September 1945. Upon expiration of both leases on 30 June 1943, it is surmised that the 100-acre and 160 acre parcels of land reverted back to the Kern County Land Company. No continuing leases have been found on these properties. The site is currently owned by Opal, Fry, and Sons and is used for farming row crops such as onions, tomatoes, carrots, and cotton.
Extract from January 1945 US Army and Navy Directory of Air Fields
Abandoned and Little Known Airfields
Extract, War Department Inventory of Owned, Sponsored and Leased Facilities, December 1945