Site Name: The former Antioch Bombing Target is currently referred to as Frank's Tract. The property of the former Antioch Bombing Target is owned by the Department of Parks and Recreation, Brannon Island, Rio Vista, California. Throughout the remainder of this report, the property will be referred to as the Antioch Bombing Target.
Location: The Antioch Bombing Target is located approximately 11 miles east of Antioch, in Contra Costa County in Township 2 North Range 3 East, Mount Diablo Base and Meridian. The nearest major road is Highway 160. The Antioch Bombing Target was located in Divisions C and D in what was known as the subdivisions of The Lands of Franks Reclamation Company.
History: In 1906 the area containing the former Antioch Bombing Target was owned by Dr. N.K. Foster and F.C. Franks which was located approximately 11 miles east of Antioch, in Contra Costa County, California, in Township 2 north Range 3 east, Mount Diablo Base and Meridian. The former Antioch Bombing Target was located in Divisions C and D, in what was known as the subdivisions of the Lands of Franks Reclamation Company. These divisions totaled approximately 992.92 acres of what is now submerged land. This area is currently known as Frank's tract. A deed recorded on 29 March 1913 showed that Fred C. Franks and his wife conveyed an undivided one half interest of Division D to Mr. John Markley and his wife Ada R. Markley. A property acquisition map dated 23 November 1943 shows that the Regents of the University of California, Berkley owned Division D, containing 502.25 acres. A memorandum dated 21 November 1944, concerning real estate at Air Facilities, states that there was a lease, Noy(R)35540 for 502.25 acres. It also states that there was an exchange of land by revocable permits between the California Peat Company and the U.S. Government and that the permits were executed and transmitted on 22 September 1944. A letter dated 24 September 1945, forwarded revocable permits from California Peat Company to the Bureau of Yards and Docks on 7 July 1944, for execution and approval. These permits covered 500 acres adjoining the property covered by lease Noy(R) 35540 and the property was to be used by the Government for bombing operations. Although no specific description of the property is provided it appears that this acreage equals that of Division C.
An attachment to a letter dated 11 May 1953, discussing Naval Air Targets, Gunnery and Bombing area, Twelfth Naval District, states that Antioch bombing Target consisted of a floating Target on island waters at a Latitude 38 02 30 N. and a longitude 121 37 00N. The bombing practices normally consisted of air to ground rockets and miniature bombs.
A Naval speed letter dated January 7, 1954, states the Navy used the Antioch Bombing Target continuously from 1943 until the Lease expired on October 27, 1952.
Source: US Army Corps of Engineers, Sacramento District
Additional Online Histories
US Army Corps of Engineers Archives Search Report