Historic California Posts, Camps Stations and Airfields:
Bakersfield Army Air Field
(Oildale Field, Bakersfield Municipal Airport, Kern County Airport No. 1)

In late December 1941 this field, 4.5 miles northwest of town, was one of seven in California to receive combat-ready Army Air Forces fighter units assigned to defend California against an enemy attack. After the threat of such attacks subsided the field was taken over by the 4th Air Force for use as a sub-base to Hammer Field in Fresno and used for elementary pilot training. The Naval Air Transport Service (NATS) also operated here.
In early 1945, the tenth, eleventh, and twelfth of the new jet powered YP-80As, were delivered to the 31st Fighter Squadron of the 412th Fighter Group at Bakersfield Municipal Airport in California for service tests. The first production P-80A was accepted by the Army Air Forces in February of 1945. The group relocated to Santa Maria Army Air Field in July of 1945
Source: World War II Sites in the United States: A Tour Guide and Directory by Richard E. Osbourne

Corps of Engineers History

A 543.7-acre site was acquired by the US Army during World War II as a sub-base for Hammer Field. On 14 December 1941, the 280-acre Kern County Airport was leased from the County of Kern by the US Army. Shortly thereafter, 23.6-acres were leased from the Kern County Union High School District. Through Declarations of Taking, 240.1 acres were acquired by the US Army on 18 January 1943.

The US Army assigned the site to the Army Air Forces' 4th Air Force for use as a military airfield. The site was used to support Hammer Field. Improvements to the airport included construction of living quarters, administration buildings, and repair facilities.

On 15 November 1945, the 543.7-acre site was declared surplus. Beginning 1 April 1946, 23.6 acres were transferred to the Federal Public Housing Authority via a Transfer of Lease between the War Department and the Kern County Union High School District. On 24 May 1949, 220.6. acres were quitclaimed to the County of Kern. In addition, the 280-acre airport was also released back to the County of Kern through the same quitclaim deed. As for the remaining 19.5 acres, no real estate information was found. However, the 19.5 acres is currently owned by Teachers Management and Investment Corporation (TMI), and is part of a total 52 acres owned by TMI. The site is now known as Kern County Airport No. 1-Meadows Field.

Source US Army Corps of Engineers, Sacramento District
Extract of January 1945 US Army and Navy Directory of Air Fields

Known Units at Bakersfield Municipal Airport
Source US Army Corps of Engineers, Sacramento District
Posted 20 December 2008