On 10 April 1942, the War Department acquired 100.00 acres of land through four separate leaseholds (Lease Nos. W04-193-ENG-914, 915, 74, and 506) from private individuals.
The site was used by the Army as a hospital for the California Arizona Maneuver Area (Desert Training Center). Structures known to have been built on this site between 1942 and 1943 included army barracks type buildings that were used as a hospital, quonset huts, a fuel station with an underground tank, and associated utilities.
On 26 May 1944, Banning General Hospital
was no longer required by the War Department and declared surplus.
A letter dated 13 June 1944 was issued by the Head of Real Estate
Division, Bureau of Yards and Docks, Navy Department requesting
that jurisdiction of the installation be transferred to that department.
On 6 July 1944, transfer was made of the Banning General Hospital
lease from the Army to the Navy Department for use as a Naval
convalescent hospital. In 1948 the Navy declared the site as surplus.
All structures were removed from the site by the Government. The
land was returned to the original owners. Currently, the site
has been developed into several residential homes, a mobile home
park with 397 individual homes, an apartment complex, a church,
and a fire station. As such, the site is currently subdivided
into numerous lots and owned by more than 400 private individuals.
Source: Los Angeles District, US Army Corps of Engineers
|Subscribe to California Military History|
|Browse Archives at groups-beta.google.com|