Posts, Camps Stations and Airfields:
Banning Park Camp
US Army Corps
of Engineers History
Located 18 miles south
of the City of Los Angeles, in Los Angeles County, near Wilmington,
CA. The site is bounded by Pacific Coast Highway to the north,
"M" Street to the south, Lakme Street to the west and
Cary Avenue to the east.
On 16 January 1942, the City of Los Angeles, Board of Park Commissioners
gave the War Department permission to use 9.5 acres of the Banning
Park during the National Emergency and for 6 months thereafter.
Permission was given for the War Department to construct barracks
and other temporary buildings and to bivouac or camp upon a portion
of the existing Banning Park. The permit also included authorization
to use existing utilities. Improvements by the Army included
approximately 31 buildings. The site was exclusively under War
Department control during their period of use.
The permit was transferred to the Federal Public Housing Authority
effective 16 September 1946. The site is now part of the City
of Los Angeles Recreation and Parks Department. Source: US Army Corps
of Engineers, Los Angeles District