The Bishop Gap Filler radar facility, SM-164D, was to be located on 0.37 acres of land five miles north of Bishop, Inyo County, California. Its mission was to support Tonapah Air Force Station (Site SM-164) in Nevada.
The site and an appurtenant 6.38 acres for an access road were acquired from the Bureau of Land Management by appropriation of right of way. A total of 6.75 acres were transferred from the Department of Interior, Public Lands Records (withdrawal of public lands), on 14 May 1957, for use in siting the facility.
The acquired acreage was to be used as follows: 0.37 acres for construction of Gap Filler Radar Station, and 6.38 acres for an access road to the station. The facility and the access road were never constructed. A site inspection on 31 August 1987 with a Bureau of Land Management representative indicated no improvements had been made to the site.
In 1960, the Air Force declared the site was no longer needed and the right of way was terminated.
Source: Los Angeles
District, US Army Corps of Engineers