Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Fort Emory: Battery Construction
134 for two 16-inch Guns, Fort Emory. Front view of the casemated
gun emplacements. This battery was never armed. Photograph courtesy
of Joseph Janesic, 2014
battery is scheduled to be removed by the US Navy in 2016.
by Justin M. Ruhge
The second 16-inch battery in the 1936 plans for the defense
of San Diego Harbor was located on Coronado Heights along with
Batteries Grant and Imperial. Work began in March 1943. The gun
emplacements and casemates were completed along with the ground-covered
concrete plotting and switchboard rooms north of the battery
and its magazines when the work was suspended in February 1944.
As with Construction 129 in the Bay Area, the threat from Japanese
Naval attack had ended by then so there was no need to finish
the project. The guns were never mounted at Construction No.
Had the project gone to completion, it
would have mounted 2 16-inch guns on high-angle barbette carriages
as at Battery Ashburn. The characteristics of this battery would
have been similar to Battery Ashburn.
The proposed name for this battery was
Battery Gatchell in honor of a former Fort Rosecrans commanding
In 1991, the concrete structures of Batteries
134 and Grant were used by the Navy for offices and storage.
View of the Entrance
to the Magazines. Photograph courtesy of Mark Berhow, 1997
Entrance to the Plotting
and Fire Control Building (PSR) for Construction 134. Photographs
Courtesy of Mark Berhow.
Completed Works - Seacoast Fortifications