Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Fort Rosecrans: Battery Fetterman
circa 1911. Fetterman Was rebuilt in 1940 as an Anti-Motor Torpedo
Boat (AMTB) battery when removed. Photographs Courtesy of the
Casemate Museum, Fort Monroe, Virginia.
by Junstin M. Ruhge
Battery Fetterman contained 2 3-inch rapid-fire guns on Wilkeson's
left flank. Its purpose was to sweep the channel in case of attack
by boats or small vessels. The battery was built over part of
the Fort Guijarros site.
Battery Fetterman was named in honor of
2nd Lieutenant George Fetterman, 3rd U.S. Artillery who died
In 1940 Battery Fetterman was demolished
for construction of a 3-inch antiaircraft battery.
This battery should not be confused for
a later, temporary Anti-Motor Torpedo Boat (AMTB) battery with
the same name.
Comleted Works - Seacoast Fortifications
Courtesy of the Coast Defense Study Group
Coincidence Range Finder (CRF) Station,