Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Fort Emory: Battery Homer B. Grant
(Battery Construction No. 239)
Example of the 6-inch
rifle used at Battery Grant
by Justin Ruhge
In June 1942, engineers began work on Battery Construction No.
239 with Herbert Mayson as contractor. This 2-gun 6-inch battery
was located at Coronado Heights along with Battery Imperial.
The project cost $219,000. The construction was completed in
April of 1943 but the guns did not arrive until December.
The guns were 6-inch Model 1905 Nos. 20 and 24 manufactured by
the Watervliet Arsenal. The carriages were barbette Model Nos.
56 and 57 made by York Corporation.
Battery Grant was named in honor of Colonel Homer Blackie Grant
of the Coast Artillery Corps who died in 1939.
Entrance to Battery
Grant, Fort Emory, 1997.
Completed Works - Seacoast Fortifications
Coast Defense Studty Group
The engineering plan
for Battery Grant, Fort Emory. National Archives, RG 77, OCE,
Box 129, file 600.914, Harbor.
Artist's Rendering of a Standard Two Gun 6-Inch Battery Showing
Layout Details. Artwork by Gerald W. Butler.
Taken From of 1940 by Robert D. Zink, The Six-Inch
Part of the Modernization Program,Coast Defense Study Group Journal, Vol. 8, No.
2, pgs. 21-39, May 1994.