Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Fort Emory: Battery Imperial
by Justin M. Ruhge
Battery Imperial's history was quite similar to Battery Point
Loma's. The defense plans in 1936 had called for four 155-mm
guns to be retained at Fort Rosecrans until an "incident
of emergency." The emergency came and, on December 9, 1941,
they were moved to their permanent position directly north of
Imperial Beach on the Coronado Heights Military Reservation,
later named Fort Emory. This was not the location designated
in the earlier plans but where the four Panama mounts had been
laid out by the engineers.
In contrast to the concrete magazines
at Point Loma, Imperial's dugouts were splinter-proof earth-covered
dugouts of board and timber.
As with the other 155-mm battery at Point Loma, artillerymen
undoubtedly manned Imperial's guns long before the District Engineer
got around to transferring them for the use of the troops on
October 24, 1942.
Battery Imperial was replaced by the 6-inch Battery Grant in
Completed Works - Seacoast Fortifications