Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Fort Miley: Point Lobos Leased
(Battery Lobos, Seacoast Searchlight
Nos. 23 and 24)
Battery Lobos's Gun
No. 2, a Navy 6-inch Mark X, Mod 22 Rifle mounted on a pedestal
mount in 1942. Presidio Army Museum Archives, GGNRA Interpretive
Division Photo. Files (87-C-3).
by Justin Ruhge
Point Lobos consisted of two 6-inch
Navy guns, Mark X, Model 22 emplaced on pedestal mounts several
hundred feet apart and located on the cliff at Point Lobos, west
of Fort Miley. The concrete foundations are still visible in
2004. In October 1942, Headquarters of the Harbor Defenses of
San Francisco issued a memorandum stating that this battery would
thereafter be referred to by the name "Lobos."
The only other reference to this battery in the Fort Miley record
book was that the Chief of Ordnance was directed on November
8, 1945, to dispose of the two guns and their ammunition, along
with the four 155-mm guns of Battery Bluff at Fort Funston.
Battery Lobos today.
(John A. Martini)
US Army Corps
of Engineers Sacramento District History (1993)
Around 1942, the U.S. Government acquired four leaseholds, by
leases, for interest in 9.13 acres and a 0.00 acre no area use
permit by donation. Total acreage for the site was 9.13.
The site was known as the Point Lobos
Searchlight Position and was acquired for San Francisco harbor
defense. Improvements included gun emplacements, a searchlight,
a cableway, and access roads.
Between 1946 and 1947, the four leases
were terminated for a total of 9.13 acres. On 14 December 1953,
the 0.00 no acre permit was terminated. The historical documents
do not indicate if any termination agreements existed.