Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Fort Rosecrans: Battery McGrath
by Justin M. Ruhge
At San Diego, three additional batteries
were completed by 1900. Battery McGrath had two 5-inch rapid-fire
guns on balanced pillar mounts at Battery Wilkeson's right flank.
Its primary mission was to defend the minefields. Battery McGrath
was named in honor of Major Hugh J. McGrath, Fourth Cavalry,
who died of wounds received in the Philippines in 1899. In 1902,
Congress awarded him the Medal of Honor for heroism.
Completed Works - Seacoast Fortifications