Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Camp Reynolds: Point Stuart Battery
This battery was constructed between 1
November 1863 and 25 July 1864. The Civil War era Angel Island
batteries were temporary earthworks. Armament consisted of one
10" Columbiad and three 32-Pounder seacoast guns. The battery
was abandoned sometime in the 1870s. No trace remains today.
The three cannon above were 32 pound muzzle
loaded guns known as M1829 Seacoast Guns, which were mounted
in earthen fortifications at Point Stuart. This picture was taken
in the 1870's when the guns were obsolete and no longer maintained.
These guns weighed about 7,500 pounds, and were secondary batteries
installed during the Civil War, to supplement the larger Columbiad
cannons. About 8 pounds of gunpowder would send a 32 pound (6.4"
diameter) projectile just over a mile.