Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Fort Rosecrans: Battery Charles
(Battery Construction No. 237)
Example of the 6-inch
rifle used at Battery Woodward.
by Justin M. Ruhge
Originally designated Construction No. 237, this battery was
the last of the 6-inch batteries to get underway. It was located
in the northwest corner of Fort Rosecrans. Work commenced in
March 1943 and the Engineers transferred it to the troops in
August 1944. It cost $256,000, more than either of the earlier
two 6-inch batteries.
It was named in honor of Colonel Charles G. Woodward who as a
Captain had commanded Fort Rosecrans from March 1906 to June
The guns for this battery were 2 6-inch Model 1903A-2 Nos. 40
and 55 manufactured by the Watervliet Arsenal. The carriages
were barbette Nos. 103 and 109 manufactured by the Watertown
Completed Works - Seacoast Fortifications
Coast Defense Study Group
The Form 7 for Battery
Woodward. National Archives, RG 77, OCE, Box 129, File 600.914,
Artist's Rendering of a Standard Two Gun 6-Inch Battery Showing
Layout Details. Artwork by Gerald W. Butler.
Taken From of 1940 by Robert D. Zink, The Six-Inch
Part of the Modernization Program,Coast Defense Study Group Journal, Vol. 8, No.
2, pgs. 21-39, May 1994.