LOCATION: The site is located at the intersection of Canal and Yacht Street, with Berths 193 and 194 fronting the East Basin in the Los Angeles Harbor, Wilmington, California.
SITE HISTORY: The California Yacht Club (CYC) leased this 9.3875-acre site from the City of Los Angeles Harbor Commission on 13 April 1923. The CYC's improvements to the property included a clubhouse, lighthouse, and tennis courts. The US Coast Guard (then part of the Navy Department) acquired the unexpired leasehold to the site and CYC improvements through a Declaration of Taking filed 2 June 1942. The site was leased from the City of Los Angeles Harbor Commission by the Coast Guard under Lease Contract No. Tcg-36296 and Permit Orders Nos. 1918 and 1873. The site was used as a Receiving Station during World War II.
The CYC clubhouse was used as the Coast Guard Receiving Station's administrative headquarters. The Coast Guard made many improvements to the site including a gatehouse and sentry box, a pump house and sentry box, an infirmary, and mess hall. A complete listing of improvements is provided in the Proceedings of a Board Survey, 46-48, dated 28 January 1948, when the Receiving Station was declared surplus to the needs of the Coast Guard. On 13 April 1948 the War Assets Administration authorized termination of the lease and disposal of improvements made by the Coast Guard according to the terms of the lease, which required any wharf improvements and underground utilities to be left in place. The CYC did not re-assume the lease, and established a club elsewhere. From photographs it appears that by 1964 no buildings remained on the site. Ownership of the site remains with the City of Los Angeles. Other than the City of Los Angeles Fire Station No. 49 at Berth 194, there are no buildings on site.