The former California State Fairgrounds
is located on 155.91 acres situated east of the intersection of
Stockton and Broadway, Sacramento, California.
The Army leased 154.91 acres from Sacramento
County and 1.0 acre from Sacramento City from 1941 to 1943.
The site was known as the Sacramento State Fairgrounds and the
California State Fairgrounds. It initially was used as the Sacramento Advanced Communications
Zone Depot (later Sacramento Signal Depot) and then as an
auxiliary storage area for McClellan
Field. The site was under Army control only during the period
of the lease. Fairgrounds buildings were used for storage, and
$65,000 worth of Army construction was built. All buildings reverted
back to the original owners upon the termination of the lease.
Records for this site are not complete.
Two forms related to disposal were found: a Control File Summary
and Real Property Management and Disposal Report. The Control
Summary is not dated, but lists dated information in the "Remarks"
portion. The lease, No. W-04-1 93-Eng-1577, was meant to supersede
W-868-Eng-1788 dated 12-24-41 through 6-30-43. The lease of 154.91
acres was terminated in fiscal year 1947. The Real Property Management
and Disposal Report dated 15 Nov 1946 lists termination as a
Cancellation of Leased Property.
No mention of restoration can be found. The current ownership
is comprised of several individual homeowners, the University
of California, and the city of Sacramento.