The Camp San Luis Obispo exhibit site is an outdoor static display area. To the left of the historic main gate is an Army Aviation display area with seven fixed and rotary wing aircraft from the 1950's and 1960's. This area is normally locked, but the key can be obtained from the Range Control office in Building 738 across the street.
On the central mall is an a Japanese Type 97b Tankette and an F4 Phantom II Fighter Bomber. There are also examples of sculpture by Italian Prisoners of War that were interned at Camp San Luis Obispo during the Second World War.
The latest addition to the mall is the Bataan Memorial that commemorates the 40th Tank Company (later Company C, 194th Tank Battalion) from Salinas that was captured by the Japanese at Bataan in the Philippine Islands.
Camp San Luis Obispo is also the home of the California Conservation Corps State Museum which documents the history of the Civilian Conservation Corps and the present California Conservation Corps.
Camp San Luis Obispo has been the home of the California National Guard since the 1920's. It is currently the home of the 223d Infantry Regiment, and several other training and logistics activities of the California National Guard.