The US Army Air Forces acquired the acreage as follows: 0.005 acres by license dated 3 May 1943 from the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company; 11.57 acre by lease dated 3 May 1943 from Paul Ecke and Magdalena Ecke; and 1.00 acre by permit from the Department of Agriculture, Emergency Rubber Project for joint use dated 15 July 1943. Total acreage acquired was 12.575 acres.
The site was used as a VHF station and a camp for the VHF station personnel, associated with the Pacific Coast Air Warning and Defence System. Improvements included seven buildings, 12' by 12' each. Joint use by the Department of Agriculture included an Emergency Rubber Project for production of rubber during World War II, no improvements were listed on available documents.
The site was declared surplus on July 1, 1947. Disposal of the property was as follows: 11.57 lease acres terminated on 13 September 1948; 1.00 permit acre was cancelled on 26 June 1946; and the 0.005 license acre was terminated on 25 October 1948. The site is currently developed residentially, commercially, and agriculturally, including a public park and a San Diego Gas & Electric facility. The former equipment area is an agricultural field. Over a dozen owners presently hold the site. Total disposal was 12.575 acres.
The one acre portion does appear in the
31 December 1945, War Department Inventory of Owned, Sponsored
and Leased Facilities as Carlsbad Campsite. It does not appear
on any War Department Station Lists
Source: Los Angeles District, US Army Corps of Engineers
Extract, War Department Inventory of Owned, Sponsored and Leased Facilities, 1945
Carlsbad Camp Site