Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Terminal, circa 1938
SITE NAME: Catalina Terminal, Wilmington,
California. Also known as Catalina Steamship Terminal, Catalina
Island Company, Wilmington Transportation Company, and the Water
Street Los Angeles Wharf.
LOCATION: The site, formerly known as Catalina Terminal, is located
at 100 West Water Street, Berths 184 and 185, Wilmington, California,
2.0 miles southeast of Highway 110 (the Harbor
SITE HISTORY: In 1942, the War Department, War Shipping Administration
acquired an unspecified number of acres from the Port of Los
Angeles by lease agreement. The DOD beneficially used the existing
terminal building, parking, shed, and piers associated with Berths
184 and 185. These records were neither specific nor complete.
DOD improvements are unknown. The site was utilized for transporting
troops and goods to Catalina Island, a troop training facility
during World War II.
In 1946, the War Department reconveyed to the Port of Los Angeles
an unspecified number of acres of property. These records were
neither specific nor complete. The property is currently occupied
by Catalina Freight Line (Berth 184) and College of Oceaneering,
Pier 2, Welding Pier (Berth 185). No War Department improvements
are known to exist on the property today.