Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Coronado Beach Military Reservation
site was acquired in 1897 for the Army as a Military Reservation.
In 1929, a major portion of the reservation was sold to the State
of California. It was a planned location
of a mortar battery that was never built. Anti-Motor Torpedo
Boat Battery Cortez (1943 - 1946) was located here. It has been
destroyed. Two World War II fire-control towers were once located
here. The reservation contained 40.63 acres and was 1-3/4 miles
southeast of Coronado Beach. The sand spit that connected the
beach to the mainland was frequently breached during high tide,
It is now the site of Silver Strand State Beach.