Posts, Camps Stations and Airfields
A temporary camp for a
few months in 1898 for a 8th Regiment of California Volunteers,
it was located at Fruitvale, now a part of the city of Oakland.
Named after the then California
Adjutant General Andrew W. Barrett, 1845-1905, a Civil War veteran.
Barrett resigned as Adjutant General on December 23, 1898.
Camp of the 8th Regiment
of the California National Guard (8th California Volunteer Infantry),
comprised of companies from Northern California, according to
articles in the Oakland Enquirer newspaper. The 8th was
called up in response to the second call for volunteers during
the Spanish American War.
Established in late June
1898 and abandoned about September 14, 1898 when the last troops
left for Vancouver Barracks. The companies of the 8th were assigned
to army posts on the west coast, apparently to allow the regulars
to be deployed overseas. The 8th was mustered out by February
Located near Sather station
according to newspaper articles, "Sather station, Cal."
William Sturm, Librarian of the Oakland Library History Room,
indicates Sather station was a Southern Pacific local railroad
station located at present High Street and San Leandro Street
in Oakland. "The camp proper is to the southeast of Merrill
Avenue and the open space to the north will be the drill ground,"
according to the June 28, 1898 Oakland Enquirer.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster