The Army leased land from Mr. James Irvine before or during 1944 for establishment of the area known as Camp Commander near Little Peters Lake, California. The number of acres leased is unknown. Real estate records were neither specific, nor complete.
Santa Ana Army Air Base used the site for training troops in field exercises and command post exercises. Mock battles were conducted here and at Camp Rathke, another field training area two miles north of the site. No permanent structures were constructed by the Army. Combat training involved use of small arms, including rifles, machine guns, and Rocket launchers
The Army disposed of the site before or
during 1946. The land was returned to private ownership. Records
were neither complete, nor specific. The site is currently owned
by Orange County, and, as part of Peters Canyon Regional Park,
is used by the public for recreation.
Source: Los Angeles District,
US Army Corps of Engineers