The Citizens' Military Training Corps
(CMTC) conducted annual summer training on the grounds of the
Hotel Del Monte resort complex from 1920 to 1932. After that
date the CMTC trained at Camp John P. Pryor on the grounds of
the adjacent Presidio of Monterey. At its height, the resort
covered over 20,000 acres and had a race track, polo fields and
Monterey's famed Del Monte Forest.
The California National Guard also utilized
this site for its "summer camps" from 1920 until it
established a permanent training site at San Luis Obispo. Photographs
show that the racetrack infield was used as the cantonment area.
The main buildings of the former Hotel
Del Monte now serves as the main campus of the Naval Postgraduate