Located in Santa Cruz, Camp Dimond was
a temporary "summer camp" location for the California
National Guard that operated from 16 to 24 June 1894. The camp
was named for Major General William Henry Dimond, former division
commander of the National Guard of California. Only the 1st Infantry
Regiment from San Francisco is currently identified as being
at this camp.
Superintendent of the United States Mint,
San Francisco, is a man of self-reliance and firmness of purpose,
possessing the natural traits for a wise leadership. He has attained
a success in his business career in this city of which even the
most sanguine might be justly proud. He located here in 1868,
and since that time has been prominently identified with the
best interests of both city and State.
General Dimonds ancestors settled
in America in colonial days. He belongs to the eighth generation
in this country from Captain Thomas Dimond, who located in Fairfield
county, Connecticut, and in his veins runs the blood of both
the Puritan and Hollander. The family name was originally Dimon,
and is so spelt in old archives. The Generals father was
a native of Connecticut and his mother of New York State. His
ancestors were opposed to tyranny and oppression of any form,
and in the various conflicts of this country took fitting part.
His father was educated for the ministry of the Congregational
Church, and in the 30s, when there was an urgent call for missionaries
to many fields of labor, the Rev. Mr. Dimond was among the first
to respond. He and his wife were among the first American missionaries
to the Sandwich Islands, and since that early day their labor
has been continuous.
In the Sandwich Islands General Dimond
was born. He was educated at the College of Oahu, on the island
of that name. After completing his studies he entered a mercantile
house and became familiar with business transactions. He was
so engaged when news of the civil war in this country reached
his home. As tidings of the struggle grew more mournful for those
attached to the Union, young Dimonds patriotic instincts
were aroused, and hastily adjusting his affairs, he came to the
United States. Arriving in Washington in 1864, he was appointed
by President Lincoln, Assistant Adjutant-General on General Saxtons
staff, Department of the South. This was an independent command,
and was in service in South Carolina and that section, with headquarters
at Beaufort, where he served until the close of the war.
After the war General Dimond married a
daughter of Mr. Charles Merriam, of Springfield, Massachusetts,
of the publishing house of G. &. C. Merriam, publishers of
Websters Dictionary. He traveled extensively in Europe
afterwards, and in 1866 returned to the islands. His wifes
health would not permit of a permanent resident there, however,
and in consequence he came to this city, locating here in 1868,
as already stated. Mrs. Dimond, who had endeared herself to all
who knew her, recently died in this city.
Shortly after his arrival here, he began
a connection with the Russell & Erwin Manufacturing Company.
Some time after the company sold out to Huntingdon, Hopkins &
Co., and he transferred to the latter firm. He remained with
them about a year, when he entered the firm of Williams, Blanchard
& Co. This firm subsequently became Williams, Dimond &
Co., and since the Generals entrance into the firm its
business has been materially extended. It is now one of the most
important mercantile houses in this metropolis.
General Dimonds connection with
the National Guard of California dates from the time of Governor
Perkins. He was appointed A. D. C. on his staff. When General
McComb retired he was tendered the command of the Second Brigade,
N. G. C., which he accepted. By Governor Waterman he was appointed
Division Commander, N. G. C., and re-appointed by Governor Markham,
which position he now fills. Since his connection with this organization
his labors have been unremitting in behalf of it.
He is a Knight Templar, a member of the
Golden State Commandery, belongs to the I. O. O. F., and A. O.
U. W., K. of P., and also the Union League. He is also First
Vice-President of the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce.
In politics General Dimond has always
been a consistent Republican. He was very prominently mentioned
in connection with the Governorship of the State, and, in fact,
received a large share of the votes of the convention which met
at Los Angeles, without great effort on his part. During the
last presidential contest General Dimond was Chairman of the
Republican State Central Committee. He is universally popular
not only with his own party but with others as well, and in his
present position, as Superintendent of the Mint, has the confidence
and respect of all.
Such is an epitome of the life of one
of San Franciscos most worthy citizens.
Transcribed by 11-5-06 Marilyn
Source: "The Bay
of San Francisco," Vol. 2, Page 164-165, Lewis Publishing
Sacramento Daily Union, Volume 91, Number 113, 19 June 1896
GENERAL DIMOND'S REMAINS.
They Will Start for San Francisco To-Day.
Adjutant-General Barrett is in receipt
of a telegram from General Dimond's son announcing the General's
death in New York yesterday, and stating that he will start to-day
from New York with his father's remains. Adjutant-General Barrett
will send a guard of honor, consisting of an officer and twelve
men, to Reno, to meet the party and escort the body to San Francisco,
where it will be buried with the proper military honors. The
flags on the State Capitol and other buildings were at half-mast
yesterday out of respect to the deceased. The military service
of Major-General W. H. Dimond in the National Guard of California
was as follows: Appointed Lieutenant-Colonel anjd Aid-de-Camp,
staff of the Command-er-in-Chief, George C. Perkins, January
20, 1880; promoted Brigadier-General, Second Brigade, N. G. C,
December 14, 1881; reappointed Brigadier-General, Second Brigade,
N. G. C, January 30, 1883; reappointed Brigadier-Gen-eral, Second
Brigade, January 7, 18S7; Promoted Major-General, N. G. C, September
28, 1887; reappointed MajorGeneral, N. G. C, April .x, 1801;
reappointed Major-General. N. G. C, May 5, 1895. Was still serving
at the time cf his death.
He was appointed in New York, Captain
and Assistant Adjutant-General of United States Volunteers, March
.'!. 1865; resigned July 8th the same year. He was also Captain
of a cavalry company in Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands.