Historic California Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Camp Dolores
Late in 1850 Southern California ranchers were sujected to a devastating raid by Chief Walkara and his Ute horse thieves and demanded protection from the authorities. Authorized by the governor, General J. H. Bean, of the California Militia organized a company of 50 volunteer rangers to protect the frontier. At first stationed in Cajon Pass, they moved into the San Bernardino Valley and established Camp Delores near the present Valley College. In April 1851, troops from Camp Dolores were called upon to defend Jose del Carmen Lugo's Rancho San Bernardino from a band of renegades, who were later tracked down. A bloody battle ensued. When a coroners jury found the killing of white men by the Indians justifiable, General Bean condemned the finding and shortly afterward broke up Camp Dolores and disbanded the rangers. A little later that year the Lugo family, weary of the hardships and dangers, sold Rancho San Bernardino to Morman settlers.
For more information on 19th century military posts in the San Bernardino area, CLICK HERE!