(Camp Linda Vista, Green Farm Camp and Jacques Farm
On June 14, 1940 the camp was formally designated
Camp Elliott in honor of Major General George F. Elliott, the Marine
Corps tenth Commandant 1903-1910.
While construction was underway the Marines
had to live in tents. Early construction progressed quite well
and by October 1940 twelve barracks and a mess hall was completed.
Additional land acquisition for Camp Elliott was accomplished through
a Declaration of Taking on April 8, 1941- Including the main camp
area of 19,298.25 acres which came under federal ownership. This
was further expanded to 26,034 acres.
In September 1942, Camp Elliott became the
home of the Fleet Marine Force Training Center, West Coast with
the mission of training individual replacements for combat duty.
In January 1942, with over 10,000 Marines in the San Diego area,
the 2nd Marine Division, under the command of Major-General C.
F. B. Price, assembled at Camp Elliott and assumed the responsibility for the
conduct of the training there. Although thousands of Marines passed through Camp
Elliott en route to Pacific duty, even this
area could not meet the expansion needs for the training of the
Camp Elliott, on 1 July 1946, became War
Assets Administration Property for disposal and decommissioning.
Portions of this training area came under Navy control and, in
1944, the Navy took over Camp Elliott from the Marines, who were
later transferred to Camp Pendleton. Camp Elliott continued to
function through the Korean War. The Navy maintain control of
Camp Elliott and let the U.S. Air Force use it for the Orion Project
testing in 1960.
In addition to the main Camp area there
were other training camps established on the Camp Elliott reservation
Camp Linda Vista, Green Farm Camp and Jacques Farm Camp,
as well as a Parachute School.
In 1961 the Navy reported approximately
15,000 acres as excess to the General Service Administration
(GSA) for disposal. The city of San Diego and San Diego Unified
School District obtain portions of a 4,600 acre site for public
use and educational purposes under a community development plan.
Other parcels of Various size were sold to private parties. The
property for the Tierrasanta residential community, 1,800 net
acres, was purchased on 15 October 1968 by Leland S. Murphy and
transferred to the Christina Development Co.
The Mission Trails Regional Park was conveyed to the city of
San Diego by quitclaim deed on 10 January 1964. This deed restricted
the use of the 2,100 acre site to historic monument/public recreational
purposes for 20 years.
The East Camp Elliott area was reported excess to the General
Service Administration by the Navy in 1961 and disposed of by
quitclaim deeds to private parties between 1973 and 1974. The
parcels vary in size and the total area is approximately 3,200
acres. A landfill, operated by the county of San Diego, is located
within the East Elliott area.
The area north of Tierrasanta, Mission Trails, and East Elliott
is still in use by Department of Defense (primarily the Navy
with some Marine Corps and Air Force activity) and encompasses
approximately 15,500 acres. Activities include movement and simulated
exercises by reserve units. A rifle range is also located within
the area and is still in use.