Historic California Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Camp Escondido
Located in Escondido. An emergency facilities were built between 5th and 11th Avenues to the north and south, respectively, and between Tulip and Pine Streets to the west and east, respectively. This installation was under the control of the Western Defense Command's Southern California Sector
The camp was established during World War II. However, no files were identified which specifically refer to the Escondido encampment as Camp Escondido. In December 1941, the Headquarters Battery, 222nd Field Artillery Regiment (a Federalized unit ofthe Utah National Guard) of the 40th Infantry Division and Battery A of the same regiment were stationed in Escondido. These troops lived in temporary quarters provided by private citizens. These temporary quarters included men bivouacked at Grape Day Park and Lincoln School, and use of recreational and shower facilities at the Lemon House, Trinity Guild Hall and the Eagles Hall (private facilities). This initial group left Escondido by 25 May 1942.
On June 19, 1942 a battalion of 615 men and 14 officers came to Escondido from Camp San Luis Obispo. They erected barracks and graded a parade ground. This unit probably was the 130th Field Artillery Battalion, a Federalized Kansas National Guard unit.
Source: Los Angeles District, US Army Corps of Engineers
Army Units Assigned to Camp Escondido

 Data Source


 Corps of Engineer History  December 1941
 222nd Field Artillery Regiment (155mm Howitzer, Truck Drawn)
Headquarters and Headquarters Battery
Battery A
 Army of the United States Station List  1 June 1943
130th Field Artillery Battalion (105mm Howitzter, Truck Drawn) (WDC)
AAF - Army Air Forces units AGF - Army Ground Forces ASF - Army Service Forces units WDC - Western Defense Command
Posted 7 June 1942