Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Camp Harry L. Hopkins
Camp Harry L. Hopkins,
named for the then Secretary of Commerce, was originally opened
in 1938 as a labor camp jointly operated by the Federal Works
Progress Administration (WPA) and the California State Relief
Administration (SRA). It was located in the Santa Monica Mountains
and was built with a capacity of well over 500 unemployed young
men who were working on WPA/SRA building projects.
With the outbreak of World
War II, control of the camp was transferred to the Adjutant General
and the post came under the control of the California State Guard.
On 21 September 1942, the Adjutant General issued General Order
67 establishing School of Line and Staff under the command of
Colonel Cromwell Stacey. This course taught a wide number of
subjects to the members of the California State Guard and the
California State Militia.
At this time it is not
know what other activities took place at the camp or when it