Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
(Point Dume Radar
Site B-36 )
Mailibu: Pyramidal tents are erected at Site 8 for the SCR-6l5-B
trainees. The Jamesway Hut in the center is the site orderly
Originally established as air defense
radar site B-36 under the Los Angeles Control Group. An SCR-270B
radar was operated by the 654th Signal Aircraft Warning Company.
It was later changed to a Sub-Post of Camp Pinedale as a training
area of the Army Air Force's Western Signal Aviation Unit Training
Center. This site was so secret that it does not show up any
official Army, Army Air Forces or 9th Service Command station
lists. Despite its name, the site is actually inland from Point
Training Site Official History
Extracted from the Offical
History of the Western Signal Aviation Unit Training Center,
Camp Pinedale, Fresno
Radar Training Sites
Captain Alfred L. Coffman, Captain Theodore R. Gwillim, and First
Lieutenant Joseph M. Quinn arrived from the Aircraft Warning
Unit Training Center, Drew Field for temporary duty at Western
Signal Aviation Unit Training Center (WSAUTC) on 11 January 1945
to coordinate the selection of radar training sites in the Central
Valley and on the Pacific coast. Laton, ten miles north of Hanford,
CalIfornia, was chosen as the Valley site because of its excellent
radar techniCal features. On 14 February 1945 the footing forms
were poured for inallation of an SCR 615-A (height finding radar
set) .. Two days later equipment installation was begun on two
other sites at Laton for radar sets SP-1M, AN/TPS-1 and SCR-270.
Laton was obtained as a camp site for WSAUTC by clearance lease.
On 12 March 1945 First Lieutenant M., B. Luke, ground reporting
equipment advisor to the Director of Operations, accompanied
the Deputy Base Commander and the Supervisor of the Tactical
Unit Training Department (TUTD) on a trip to Visalia, California,
to determine the training facilities available there. It was
decided that these facilities were superior to those at Laton,
which lacked living oonveniences, and therefor the training sites
at Laton were moved to Visalia. Visalia had been used previously
by WSAUTC. Facilities were made available for radar training
at this sub-base of Hammer Field.
The coastal site selected for the individual replacement training
(IRT) and cadre training program was at Malibu, approximately
ten miles east of Santa Monica. This site was a fixed radar installation
(Radar Site B-36) of the Los Angeles Control Group, but during
the first five months of 1945 WSAUTC training facilities grew
to such an extent that they overshadowed the Los Angeles Control
Field Organization of IRT and Detachments
In the new air warning training program it was necessary to provide
an organization to contaln the overhead personnel necessary to
train and administer those aircraft warning detachments and individual
replacement trainees who underwent final phases of operational
training at Visalia and Malibu Beach. Flight B of Squadron T-2,
462nd Army Air Forces Base Unit (AAFBU), was formed and placed
under the command of Captain John F. Meskiel formerly f'ield
coordinator.. Flight B was composed of two detachments of about
65 men each, and further divided into training sites under the
direction of TUTD:
Visalia Army Air Field - Captain Maris
L Ward, Commanding, Sites 1,2,3, and 4, each with one SCR-615,
AN/TPS-1, AN/CPS-5, SP-1M .
Malibu Beach - Captain Dale E Repp, Commanding,
Sites 5,6, and 7 with two SP-1Ms and one AN/TPS-1.
After the required course was completed at Detachment No. 1,
following ground individual training, the trainees were sent
to Detachment No. 2 for the final phase operationnl training,
prior to overseas shipment.
The first group of aircraft warning cadres,
from the 49th and 52d Signal Aircraft Warning Detachments, were
sent from Camp Pinedale to the Malibu Training Site, on 11 March
1945. The initial group was composed of cadres 1 through 12 (AN/CPS-1B),
49th Signal Aircraft Warning Detachment, and cadres 1 through
5 (SP-1M), 52nd Sienal Aircraft Warning Detachment.
Change in Organization
Camp Malibu, operated by the WSAUTC at Malibu Beach, California,
remained in operation during the three-months' period from 1
June 1945 through 2 September 1945.. However, a change in organization
occurred on 21 June 1945 when Squadron G, 462nd AAFBU. Camp Pineciale,
was activated to handle the training program at Camp Malibu.
Prior to the activation of Squadron G, Detachment 2, Flight B,
Squadron T-2, 462nd AAFBU had been in charge of the training
program at Camp Malibu. Inasmuch as all per sonnel, both trainee
and overhead were already present for duty and the prescribed
training were in progress, the change in organization affected
only the orderly room, and was made to facilitate the handling
of administrative and personnel problems of the trainees. The
activation of Squadron G meant that most problems, of an administrative
and personnel nature, could be solved at Camp Malibu instead
of being referred back to the parent organization at Camp Pinedale.
Captain Randall J. Thumm, Comrnanding
Officer of Detachment 2, Flight B, Squadron T-2, 462nd AAFBU
was and was assigned to Squadron G and appointed Commanding Officer
G Squadron was established at Camp Malibu
on 21 June 1945. It contained the overhead personnel for the
training site. Personnel for the squadron were drawn from sources
under the control of the WSAUTC. The Cormnanding Officer was
Captain Randall J. Thumm.
G Squadron was aasigned to the Troop Commander but was under
the supervision of WSAUTC TUTD for training purposes.
The strength of the squadron consisted of one officer and sixty-three
enlisted men on 30 June 1945; one officer and seventy-four enlisted
men on 31 July 1945; and one officer and seventy-one enlisted
men on 31 August 1945.
Relationships with WSAUTC Staff Sections
Responsibility for the proper accomplishment of Squadron G's
mission and the training of personnel was to the Commanding Officer
WSAUTC, through the WSAUTC Executive Officer.
Tactical and operational supervision carne through the supervisor
of the Team and Unit Training Division (TUTD) of WSAUTC, rooster
training plans, operational directives, and the control of technical
equipment, under the supervision of the TUTD. The latter agency
also controlled the movement of trainee personnel and acted as
a coordinating section in the movement of overhead personnel.
The original supply of communications, radar and equipment, was
obtained through the Director of Maintenance and Supply, WSAUTC.
Special items necessary to the performance of the tactical missions
were also supplied to Squadron G buy the office of the Director
of Supply, WSATUTC.
The supervision of the use of forms and publications, records
of overhead personnel, and legal service, came through the office
of the Director of Administration, WSAUTC.
A new marming table for Squadron G was authorized on 18 July
1945. Authority for the allotment of personnel to Camp Malibu
was contained in a letter from Colonel W. H. MacDonald, Commanding
Officer of the WSAUTC, to the Commanding Officer, Camp Malibu.
Personnel thus allotted consisted of eleven officers and seventy
enlisted men, and included an additional automobile equipment
mechanic, as requested by Squadron G.
During the period from 1 June through 2 September 1945, training
was carried on at Camp Malibu in the following radar sets:
1. AN/CPS-1 microwave, early warning, long range, search radar
2. AN/CPS-4 ultra high frequency, height finding radar set.
3. AN/CPB-5 ultra high frequency, long range, search radar set.
4. AN/TPS-1B ultra high frequency, portable, light warning, medium
range, search, radar set.
5. AN/TPS-10 mircrowave, portable, height finding, medium range,
range, radar set.
6. SCR-615, T-l and B models, microwave, ground control interception,
height finding, medium range, radar set.
7. SP-1M microwave, ground control inerception. height finding,
medium range radar set.
Five sites at Camp Malibu were used at various times by Squadron
G for purposes of instruction. From time to time radar set teams
were moved from one site to another, except where there were
During August 1945 training dropped from normal activity on seven
radar sets to operation of only one, the AN,/CPS-5. Individual
replacement training on radio equipment:; continued as usual,
however, which was the status of the base as of 2 September 1945.
Source: Volume X, History
of the Western Signal Aviation Unit Training Center, Camp Pinedale,
Report on Point Dume, California
by Bolling W. Smith
This research was complicated by the lack
of basic data: names of installations, using services, etc. What
little information was available was based on undocumented local
Information obtained from local authorities
in California was sketchy and contradictory. It is known that
there were several military installations at Point Dume, California,
during (and after) World War II.
The most significant installation, and
the one for which the most documentation was found, was an Aircraft
Warning Service radar, code named B-36 (and, apparently
also B-8), and Site 51. This was originally
named Triunfo Peak, then simply Triunfo,
and finally Triunfo (Pt. Dume). While no definitive
documentation was found, Triunfo Peak is some distance inland,
and it is believed that while this was the original location
selected for the radar set, the set was actually constructed
near the coast, as shown on a number of maps. This radar station
was part of a national network of radar stations designed to
identify enemy aircraft entering American airspace.
In addition to the radar, there was a
VHF radio station used to coordinate and control Army Air Forces
interceptors. This was in the same general area as the radar,
but whether it was co-located is not known. Signal Corps records
were complicated by frequently inconsistent nomenclature
due to both the newness of the equipment and the desire for secrecy.
Radar was variously termed Radio B, detector
sets, SCRs, and D/F (direction
finding) stations, and sites were described by name or by one
of several numbers.
In addition to the Signal Corps installations,
there were two US Navy facilities. During WWII, the navy had
a base on leased land. No detailed information on this site was
located. Also, there was a postwar missile testing range at Point
Mugu, CA, with an instrumentation station at Point Dume. This
site was subsequently converted into parkland. This is supported
It is reported that there was a US Coast
Guard beach patrol site called Zuma Patrol Base at Point Dume,
but no information was found concerning this facility.
Lastly, there was a target range at Point Dume, operated by the
37th AAA Brigade, US Army. This was termed the Point Dume Firing
Point. A few references were found confirming this, and that
37mm automatic weapons were fired at this site. No description
was found of what facilities, if any, were built there. It is
assumed, although not expressly documented, that the 37th AAA
Brigade rotated units to the firing point for training. Whether
buildings were erected or troops were quartered in tents is not
stated. No reference to weapons larger than 37mm was found.
at the Port Aurgullo Radar Station
SCR-270 Mobile Long Wave Aircraft Warning
Six-vehicle mobile, long wave early warning aircraft detector.
Azimuth and range supplied. Set is equipped with "A"
To establish a screen of warning which provides information of
approaching aircraft as early as possible but with a sacrifice
of accuracy in range, azimuth and elevation. IFF equipment RC-150
Performance and Siting: Maximum range on a single bomber flying at indicated
heights, when set is on a flat sea level site:
Set should be sited at a height between
100' and 1000' above an unobstructed reflecting surface.
Complete set is carried in 6 vehicles, the largest of which measures
30'4" x 9'10" x 8'. Total weight of shipment is 101,790
lbs; total volume 11,485 cu. ft.
Operates from trucks in which mounted. Can be placed in operation
about 6 hours after arrival at site.
men comprise operating crew. For 24 hour operation about 50 men
are required to run radar, communication radio, and camp.
KW, supplied by PE-74, 25 KVA gasoline-driven generator, having
fixed consumption of 4 gal. per hour, non-leaded gasoline.