Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Established in 1861 to accomidate an infantry
regiment, it was located at French Camp Slough about three miles
south of Stockton in San Joaquin County. The California Volunteers
during the Civil War were very active recruiting and training.
Their post near Stockton was composed of tents for the rank and
file, hospital, and kitchen. The campsite was reoccupied bythe
3rd Brigade of the California Militia
in 1863 and called Camp Gilmore.