Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
A Spanish American War training camp,
it was established in 1898 within the Presidio of San Francisco.
Tent camp of the 1st Tennessee and 1st Utah Volunteer Infantry
Regiments in May 1898. Once called Camp Miller, it split into
two separate camps, Merriam on the eastern border of the post,
and Tennessee Hollow, geographically separated by a low ridge.
Tennessee Hollow, in the valley east of Officers Row along
Funston Ave., was a more open ravine at that time, with fewer
smaller trees, and no houses.