Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Camp at Pardee's
Beginning in 1858 and continuing throughout
the years of the Civil War, troops frequently posted themselves
at this favored ranch, situated on the old Trinity Trail between
Eureka and theTrinity River, in Humboldt County.
Camp at Pardee's
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Camp at Pardee's Ranch was a military
post at Pardee's Ranch from 1858 until the end of the Bald Hills
War for U.S. Army troops, California State Militia or California
Pardee's Ranch was a stock raising ranch
on Redwood Creek in Humboldt County owned by A. S. Pardee. It
was situated where the Trinity Trail crossed Redwood Creek. The
Trinity Trail was the major pack mule trail from Eureka supplying
the needs of the mining districts of the Trinity River, in what
was then Klamath County and Trinity Counties.
Pardee's Ranch became the base for John
Bell's 16 man local militia party that pursued the Whilkut following
their attack on the pack train of Henry Allen and William E.
Ross on June 23, 1858. Following Bell's attack on a rancheria
on Grouse Creek on July 15, he was forced to withdraw to Pardee's
Ranch pursued by superior numbers of Whilkut warriors. Bell's
party remained there until August, being reinforced by some troops
from Trinity County. On August 2, 1858, Winslet's party of 16
men from Burnt Ranch, were ambushed by the Whilkut in the Bald
Hills along a trail to the Hupa villages, killing one man and
wounding Winslet. Winslett's party retreated to Pardee's Ranch.
On September 14, 1858 the Whilkut killed
a settler Paul Boynton, about 10 miles from Union. The next morning
after the murder of Boynton, they attacked Pardee's ranch. One
of the partners, Mr. Barney and Mr. Pardee went out and were
fired upon, but escaped with their lives and made it back to
town. The Indians drove off all their stock and the ranch was
The Camp at Pardee's Ranch was ideally
located as a base for Captain Edmund Underwood's 36 man, U. S.
Army detachment, that began providing escorts to these vital
pack trains crossing the Bald Hills when hostilities began in
October 1858. From early October 14, 1858 it was the place that
Captain Isaac Green Messec's Trinity Rangers was mustered and
a base for their campaign against the Whilkut, called the Wintoon
Afterward, until the end of the Bald Hills
War it was at various times a military post for U. S. Army troops
and various units of the California State Volunteers operating
against the Indians of the Bald Hills.
On March 10, 1860, as part of a letter
conveying the depositions of citizens concerning Indian depredations
from Humboldt County Sheriff B. VanNest to Governor Downey, A.
S. Pardee wrote a deposition in Union, Humboldt County to the
effect that Indians had burned his house in 1858 and that he
rebuilt on same site. That in 1860, some Indians took shot at
him from ambush and he has moved family back into town again.
He said he could not afford to keep guards, and that his house
will now be destroyed again.
1. The California State Military Museum;
Historic California Posts: Camp at Pardee's Ranch
2. Anthony Jennings Bledsoe, Indian wars of the Northwest: A
California sketch, Bacon and Co., San Francisco, 1885, pp. 233-237
3. Sonoma County Journal, Oct. 1, 1858
4. Bledsoe, Indian wars of the Northwest p. 240
5. Folder F3753:478, Military Department. Adjutant General. Indian
War Papers, F3753, California State Archives.