The U.S. Army leased land from Mr. James Irvine before or during 1944 for establishment of the area known as Camp Rathke. The number of acres leased is unknown. Real estate records were neither specific, nor complete.
Santa Ana Army Air Base used the site for training troops in field exercises and command post exercises. Mock battles were conducted with Camp Commander, an army camp two miles south of the site. No permanent structures were constructed by the U.S. Army. Combat training involved use of small arms, including rifles, machine guns, and bazookas.
The Army disposed of the site before or
during 1946. The land was returned to private ownership. Records
were neither complete, nor specific. The site is currently owned
County, and, as part of Irvine Regional Park, is used by the public for recreation.
Source: US Army Corps of Engineers