Historic California Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Camp Riley
On August 6, 1849, seven companies of the 2nd Infantry, commanded by Brigadier General Bennett Riley, the last military governor of California, arrived via transports at Monterey. Five companies were immediately shipped to San Diego. Two companies set up tents in the groves at Mission San Diego and the other troops went on to garrison Mission San Luis Rey. This encampment of the Boundary Commission was commanded by Major Samuel P. Heintzelman and was located at the southern end of San Diego Bay where today only salt flats exist.