Historic California Postss, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Camp San Ramon
Camp San Ramon was established as a Civilian
Conservation Corps (CCC) camp that worked on US Soil Conservation
Service projects in the East Bay area. Actually located near
Danville and also known as Camp SCS-14, the camp was "garrisoned"
10 July 1939 to 1 August 1942 by CCC Company 2933. This company
was made up of veterans and led by Organized Reserve Corps (now
Army Reserve) officers and some civil service employees performing
support and administrative support. The camp was located in the
vicinity of Camino Tassajara and Old Blackhawk Road.
The War Department then took over the
camp to house a Special Training Unit that provided remedial
training to members of the 101st Anti-Aircraft Artillery Brigade.
This Brigade was responsible for providing air defense to the
San Francisco Bay area. There is also evidence the the Naval
Construction Battalion Replacement Training Center located at
Camp Parks may have used the camp area to cunduct quarry operations
and pre-deployment training. There is also anecdotal information
the there was elements of an Italian Service Unit also operating
on the camp.