Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
On June 15, 1852, 1st Lieutenant Tredwell
Moore of Company K, 2nd Infantry Regiment led a detachment out
of Fort Miller for the upper reaches
between the middle and south forks of the Merced River. On June
20 he established temporary Camp Steele, named in honor of the
acting Assistant Adjutant General of the Department of the Pacific,
Frederick Steele, 2nd Infantry Regiment.