Historic California Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Camp Union
Originally a training ground established in 1861 for California Volunteers, Camp Union at Sacramento became California's most prominent provider of troops for camps in the West throughout the years of the Civil War A third of the state's 15,000 volunteers trained here. Toward the end of the conflict, the camp became a discharge or separation center for returning troops
The camp's first site, which had to be evacuated in October 1861 because of river no flooding, was located across the Sacramento River from the old community of Suttersville, on what was once a race track. The second camp was across the river at what is now the intersection of Sutterville Road and Land Park Drive, adjacent to the Sacramento Zoo. Camp Union was abandoned in 1866.
The 5th Infantry Regiment California Volunteers, was organized here on 8 October, 1861 and trained by Brevet Brigadier General George W. Bowie for duty in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas against the Confederate forces. Since this was the year of the great flood, the troops aided the flood-stricken capital. Company F (Sacramento Rangers) 2d Cavalry Regiment, California Volunteers, was organized in Sacramento 25 August 1861 and later served here. This company furnished a large number of officers for other units of the California Volunteers.