Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Eagle Rock National
Guard Rifle Range
Located in the Eagle Rock section of Los
Angeles, this rage was established by the 7th Infantry Regiment
(after 1917, 160th Infantry Regiment) of the California National
Guard. The first official mention of this range is in the 1904
Biennial Report of the Adjutant General and later the 1914-1920
Report of the Adjutant General. The Santa Cruz Evening
News of January 13, 1916 indicated that a State Rifle Completion
was held at this site.
The 1951 California Cadet Corps Handbook
record the use of the range in 1920 by the California High School
Cadets in 1920.
The range was no longer used by the National
Guard at some point between 1920 an 1927 as the November 1927
issue of the California Guardsman shows the 160th Infantry
Regiment traveling to the Orange County Park in Irvine for rifle
Furthermore, the February 1928 California
"The new year finds us with the
determination to overcome our traditional handicap. Ever since
the old Eagle Rock rifle range was closed to our use we have
found it necessary to impose on the various clubs and individuals
who were owners of such facilities in this vicinity. And at that
the results have been unsatisfactory, for regularity is essential
to successful range operation "
In 1931 a replacement range was establish
at the State Narcotics Hospital at Sprada.
Firing at the 200
Firing at the 500
and 600 yard targets.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster