Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Eucalyptus Park, La Mesa
Located approximately 1 mile southeast
of the La Mesa city center. It is located adjacent to the City
of La Mesa corporate boundary at the intersection of Bancroft
Drive and Mariposa Street.
The San Diego County Board of Supervisors passed a motion on
8 December 1941 granting permission to allow military use of·
county parks during the war emergency (World War II). No formal
acquisition or disposal records are known to exist for the Army
use of Eucalyptus Park. However, the park was used by the Second
Platoon of Battery A of the Army 204th Coast Artillery Regiment
(Anti-Aircraft) as a bivouac area in 1942, or possibly as early
as December 1941.
This Army encampment may have supported nearby observation points.
There was apparently no use of. artillery at this site, although
small arms weapons may have been present. There is no information
or evidence that the Army made any permanent site improvements
during their stay.
Source: Los Angelse District,
US Army Corps of Engineets
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster