Justus Brogg, Captain, Commissioned: May
D. W. Mitchell, First-Lieutenant, Commissioned: May 27, 1856
It was the desire of residents of Eureka City, Sierra County, to have an efficient militia in the community in order to enjoy peaceful conditions and still be prepared to bid defiance to any attack by hostile Indians. Therefore, the pioneers who had settled in this new territory set the wheels of fortune toward the completion of a volunteer company of the Guard. This ambition brought about the formation of the Eureka Blues. On May 3, 1856, a meeting of organization was held. This meeting adjourned until May seventh when the officers were elected and the necessary business attended to. A bond of $2,000 was filed on May fifteenth and signed by Justus Brogg, H. G. Harvey and D. W. Mitchell, to cover the arms and equipment. No arms were ever issued to this company under the bond, nor was there any record of activities having been participated in by the company.
Eureka City, which was a flourishing mining camp at that time, was one of the many cities which was destroyed by fire in the early days. In December of 1856, a fire started in the New Orleans Hotel and burned through the town. It was evident that because of this disaster many of the residents moved on to other locations, and the few left did not have sufficient numerical strength nor ardor to continue a militia guard. There was no official mustering out date for this company and it is assumed that the Eureka Blues disbanded by mutual consent of its members.