Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Fairfield Storage Site was an ordnance and ammunition storage
site located adjacent to Travis Air Force Base. The site consisted
of approximately 880 acres and was acquired by authority of Real
Estate Directives dated June 29, 1951 and August 5, 1952 in seven
tracts. Of the 860 acres, 780 acres were acquired in fee by condemnation
and 100 acres were transferred by grant deed.
The property was acquired by the Army
for the establishment of an ammuntion supply point. It included
rail facilities and surrounding safety zone. The Army had constructed
structures, including six large (Buildings 986, 988, 990, 992,
994 and 996) and two smaller (Buildings 982 and 984) "igloo"
ammunition storage bunkers, on the site. The site has been under
Department of the Army or Air Force ownership since initial aquisition.
Upon completion of construction, the entire
site, with improvements, was transferred to the Air Force by
letter from the Secretary of the Army, dated 24 September 1957.
At some time after the transfer to the Air Force, the site was
developed into a Morale, Welfare and Recreation area that included
riding stable and Travis Air Force Base Aero Clubs flight strip
and hanger. As indicated, the property is currently under Air
Force control and is the site of David Grant Air Force Medical
Center, Travis Air Force Base.
Corps of Engineers Real Estate
Source Sacramento District
US Army Corps of Engineers
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster